Saturday, August 02, 2008

Teaching Tips & Ideas


RULES OF THUMB

Fun and Funny

If you have problems with the words "fun" and "funny," look at these two sentences and see if you can feel the difference:


1. George is so funny. Every time I talk to him he makes me laugh.

2. I really enjoy going to the beach. It's so fun!

Both words here are adjectives. We use "fun" to say that something is enjoyable; we like doing it. We use "funny" to talk about things that make us laugh. Here are some more examples:

Funny

- Larry's joke about the Portuguese student was so funny I almost died laughing.

- Chaplin’s movies are always funny. Everyone in the theater ends up laughing.

- Mary is really funny. She has a great sense of humor, and always makes people laugh.

Fun

- My vacation in Rio was so fun! I went to Copacabana beach and to the Sugar Loaf.

- Jane's a really fun girl. It's always an adventure going out with her.

- Thank you for inviting me to your birthday party. It was really fun.

- I don't like going windsurfing. I think going to the movies is much more fun.

No comments: