Monday, March 21, 2011

Omission


The Samba School, União da Ilha, during this year's carnaval in Rio de Janeiro, when honoring Charles Darwin, did not mention his words (The Voyage of the Beagle) transcribed below:

"I must here commemorate what happened for the first time during our nearly five years' wandering, namely, having met with a want of politeness. I was refused in a sullen manner at two different houses, and obtained with difficulty from a third, permission to pass through their gardens to an uncultivated hill, for the purpose of viewing the country. I feel glad that this happened in the land of the Brazilians, for I bear them no good will. On the 19th of August we finally left the shores of Brazil. I thank God, I shall never again visit a slave-country."

This present article was supplied by Osnaldo Araujo, a good old friend of mine.

No comments: