Wednesday, September 13, 2006

RULES OF THUMB

Too or Very?

Too is used to describe a quality that has passed some boundary of possibility. Something that goes beyond a certain point, whereas VERY is just used to intensify a quality. To make it stronger. Both go in front of adjectives or quantifiers (much, many).

Here are some examples with Too:

She’s too short to reach the top shelf. Could you help her to get that book, please?
Joe is too young to get married. He’s only 18.
This white shirt is too long for me. I’d better try that red one again.
There are too many people in the streets tonight. You should stay home for a change.

Here are some examples with Very:

I love New York very much; you know that, don’t you?
It’s very cold outside. Make sure you wear gloves and a hat.
Mrs. Patterson is very old. I suppose she must be over 97 now.
I think Diane Lane is very attractive, don’t you?

Fill in the blanks with TOO or VERY.

1. These shirts are_____ big for you. We'll have to go shopping for new ones.
2. Mother thought the show we saw last night was_____ funny, but she didn't laugh_____ much at all.
3. You have to see this film! It's_____ interesting.
4. What do you mean, she's_____ young for me? I'm only fifteen years older than she is!

No comments: