Friday, September 22, 2006

RULES OF THUMB

Fun and Funny

If you have problems with the words "fun" and "funny," look at these two sentences and see if you can feel the difference:

1. George is so funny. Every time I talk to him he makes me laugh.
2. I really enjoy going to the beach. It's so fun!

Both words are adjectives. We use "fun" to say that something is enjoyable; we like doing it.
We use "funny" to talk about things that make us laugh.

Here are some more examples:

Funny
- Larry's joke about the Portuguese student was so funny I almost died laughing.
- Chaplin’s movies are always funny. Everyone in the theater ends up laughing.
- Rose is really funny. She has a great sense of humor, and always makes people laugh.

Fun
- My vacation in Rio was so fun! I went to Copacabana beach and to the Sugar Loaf.
- Jane's a really fun girl. It's always an adventure going out with her.
- Thank you for inviting me to your birthday party. It was really fun.
- I don't like going windsurfing. I think going to the movies is much more fun.

4 comments:

Leo Menezes said...

Agora não terei mais problemas com isso!!!
Obrigado

Hugo Caldas said...

It is stimulating to discover that in some way you are helping other people. Use and abuse of the Blog. To start with, why don't you rewrite your comment again, this time in English.I know you can! Hugo

Anonymous said...

Leo Menezes.
The above comment was addressed to you. I am terribly sorry if I didn't mention your name. Hugo

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this Blog. As a teacher I could indicate it to my students as a reflexion of the English language. Thank you. Mary