Sunday, October 08, 2006

Teaching Tips & Ideas

PREPOSITIONS

BEFORE
– Antes de. Perante. Diante. Ante.
Indica posição em frente a um objeto.
Indica também prioridade, precedência em classe,
ordem ou sucessão.

e.g.
- I shall be there before 6 o’clock.
The holiday season starts a fortnight before May 1st.
You must mail this letter before that package.
“I’ll have these players play something like the murder of my father
before
mine uncle”. (Hamlet, Act II. Scene II.)

BEHIND – Atrás. Indica a posição do objeto atrás
do outro ou seguindo um outro. Indica que um objeto
fica após a remoção de um outro.

e.g.
- He died leaving a glorious name behind him.
I keep leaving my umbrella behind me.

BELOW - Abaixo de. Indica inferioridade de classe, de dignidade etc.

e.g.
- When the Sun sets it goes below the horizon.
An Earl is below a Marquis in rank.
Should I sign my name below the dotted line ?
The city of Recife, people say, is below the sea level.

No comments: