Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Reading & Comprehension

Worksheet

Old Jake

Everybody knows him as Old Jake. He lives in a little cabin in the middle of a small wood, about as mile from the nearest village. He goes to the village store twice a week to buy food and kerosene, and occasionally he collects letters and his pension from the local post office. Some time ago, a reporter from the local newspaper interviewed him.

Here is what he said:

“I get up with the birds. There is a stream near my house where I fetch water from there. It’s good, clear, fresh water, much better than you get in the city. Occasionally, in the winter, I have to break the ice. I cook simple food on my kerosene stove; mostly stews and things like that. Sometimes I go to the pub and have a drink or two, but I don’t see many people. I don’t feel lonely. I know this wood very well, you see. I know all the little birds and animals that live here and they know me. I don’t have much money, but I don’t need much. I think I’m a lucky man.

Now, answer the following questions:

1 – Where does Old Jake live?
2 – Who interviewed him recently?
3 – How far is it to the village?
4 – How often does Old Jake go to the village?
5 – What does he buy from the village store?
6 – What does he collect from the Post Office?
7 – Where does he get his water from?
8 – What does he say about the water in the stream?
9 – What sort of things does Old Jake cook?
10 – What does he cook on?

No comments: