Wednesday, June 13, 2007

O CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN



CLAUDIO MATTOS

In my list of the “Twenty Movies You Can’t Die Without Watching,” “Dead Poets Society” is the first one. This movie tells the story of some boys who study in a school called Welton, which has traditional and strict rules. However, a group of friends started to attend classes with a new teacher called Mr. John Keating (Robin Willams), who teaches with a method a bit more unorthodox than the tradition of the school, and this man gave them the opportunity to be free thinkers, and learn how to “seize the day”.

In all of his classes he taught something precious, he told the boys that they had to believe in their work, thoughts, even when everybody thinks they are wrong. He told them that they had to look constantly at things in a different way, especially when they are sure about something. He inspired those kids to think for themselves and learn the meaning of “Carpe Diem,” Seize the day,” and “Suck the marrow of life.” He was a great teacher, for them he was their “Captain”.

Being a huge fan of Robin Willams’ work, I rented this movie for the first time some years ago; because I knew he would be performing again one of those characters that I love. In fact, I did. I thought it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. But even though I thought it was great, and indeed it meant a lot to me, the kid’s death seemed to be a total loss. After some while, I kept trying to find if there was any other solution to his problems.

By the second time, a few years later, I got the message differently, and it meant even more to me. Also by this time I realized and accepted that “Neil,” because of the pressure he suffered from his family, had no choice...Unfortunately...

Finally the last time I had the opportunity to rewatch it, I got to another conclusion of it. People that were in this movie, helping, directing, or acting, should be proud of themselves, because it helps other people to think it over about living their lives. “You must strive to find your own voice, because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it all. Live and “suck the marrow” of the greatest gift.


carpediemclaudio.blogspot.com
supertextosclaudio.blogspot.com

No comments: